Sunday, September 20, 2015

Interesting Conversation with a girl

I'd only gone to the library to read a book recommended by a friend, but never in my wildest dreams had I thought that there'd be a blackout with a torrential downpour outside, and I'd be stranded with the prettiest girl I'd ever seen. She broke my reverie by sighing loudly. I walked up to her.

She (Sighing): "Oh no!"

(The state of alertness which darkness engenders, brought out the spontaneous guy in me.)

Me (Curious): "Are you afraid of ghosts?"
She: "What? No......I mean..... I don't believe in such stuff!"

Me: "Me too. But, I don't know why, whenever I am in an old, large, spooky, dark place like this and it's raining outside, the probability of existence of ghosts seems very high."

She: "Spooky, large, old, dark." (She emphasized on each word.)
Me (Clueless): "Huh? Yeah, that's what I just said."

She: "No! Your order of adjectives was wrong."
Me (Digesting slowly): "Order... of.... adjectives. Hmm. Is that what this place does to you?"

(She chuckled.) 

She: "Hi! I am Rose."
Me:  "Rose. The noun or the verb?"

(She chortled again.)

She: "Look, my parents were not that grammar conscious!"
Me:  "And look how you turned out!"

(We both laughed.)

Me: "I am Aditya."

(The librarian brought a candle. By the look on his face, he seemed as freaked out as me; watching two people talk in complete darkness. As opposed to ghosts, crazy people were very much real!)

Me: "Well, I have heard about candlelight dinners, but candlelight reading sessions are new to me."

She: "Don't get any ideas, mister."
Me:  "But I thought people came to libraries for ideas, for enlightenment!"

She: "Funny of you to say 'enlightenment'  during a blackout."
Me:  "Hey! Let's not undermine the efforts of the candle. These babies have been very useful to people, you know; to help them bond, have romantic conversations."

She(mischievously): "Are you flirting with me?"
Me: "Yeah. Rule No.1 of Professional Flirting:When you want to flirt with a girl, praise a candle instead!"

(She giggled.)

She: "What are you reading?"
Me:  "Your eyes! The most beautiful pair I have ever seen. Now, I can see the flickering of the flame in them. Those glittering pearls have the power to make time stand still!"

She(overwhelmed): "Wow! That is the most wonderful thing anyone has ever said to me. Now you are definitely flirting with me!"
Me: "Well. I took the last line from the Sci-Fi book I am reading."

(She laughed really hard.)

She: "You plagiarist!"
Me:  "Hey! I just gave credit to the source!"

She: "But you used it to try to impress me before mentioning that!"
Me:  "So you are impressed by me now?"

She: "Didn't you hear the word 'try' ?"
Me:  "Okay, let's see, I am in this candle lit room alone, with a beautiful, intelligent girl who has a good sense of humor and it is raining outside.You can't blame me for trying. I am not a wuss!"

She: "So what are you?"
Me:  "I am not a self-pompous person either. People are free to judge."

She: "Good. I like modest people. Especially, if they are smart and funny."
Me:  "Were those compliments in disguise?"

She: "Why do you need to convert my generalizations to attributions ?"
Me:  "Don't know. Why do you need to play games?"

(She giggled again and made a deep eye contact.)

She : "I don't remember the last time I laughed so much."
Me:   "Well, I hope you shall remember this time."

(The power was back. The rain had also significantly receded.)

She:"Okay. Time to go."

(We prepared to leave. I went to the shelf to collect my bag.)

She: "Hey! You dropped your bookmark here."
 
I went back to the table and picked up the bookmark. I looked around. She was gone. I couldn't understand. Why had she gone away so abruptly? There was no mention of whether we could meet again. Not even a proper goodbye. I became morose. 

I looked at the bookmark again.
There was something scribbled on it in a cute handwriting:

                                          Rose:99224188*#
              Looking forward to that candle light dinner with you!
                                               :) :) :)

No comments: