Monday, June 15, 2015

Varys and Petyr Baelish

To understand the quote, we need to understand something about Varys and Petyr Baelish.

If we were to summarize Varys' life goals then they would be as follows:
1] Self survival
2] Seek power and influence
He has gone about achieving his goals by acquiring information. Information, to him, was how he managed to gain power and influence.

... and soon learned that the contents of a man's letters were more valuable than the contents of his purse - Varys, Season 3, Episode 4

He is a very patient man and waits to capitalize on other's mistakes.

Influence is largely a matter of patience I have found - Varys, Season 3, Episode 4

He was not a noble man by any means. He was not somebody to risk his life for somebody, unless he feels that the said person will be useful information source at a later date.

Ned : Can you free me from this pit?
Varys : I could, but will I? No.
- Season 1, Episode 9

He claims to serve for the good of the realm, but ultimately I believe that is for his own survival. He realizes that there are far worse things in their world than humans

I still dream of that night, not of the sorcerer, not of his blade. I dream of the voice from the flames. Was it a god, a demon, a conjurer's trick? I don't know. But the sorcerer called and the voice answered. And ever since that day, I have hated magic and all those who practice it. - Varys, Season 3, Episode 4

and that the health of the realm was important if at any point the world needed to confront these supernatural powers. Hence, for him, maintaining the order of the realm is a priority and he cannot look away from it.

Petyr Baelish is a man who is extremely similar to Varys and carries the same ambition and goals. He has seen people take away what he wished for (Catelyn Stark) just because they had higher authority. He sees himself as better than them. He pits people against each other and rises up through their mutual dispute.

You know what I learnt losing that duel? I learnt that I'll never win. Not that way. That's their game, their rules. I'm not going to fight them: I'm going to fuck them. That's what I know, that's what I am, and only by admitting what we are can we get what we want.- Petyr Baelish, Season 1, Episode 7

To him, a world where chaos exists is the only way for him to rise up and achieve what he wants.

Ros : And what do you want?
Petyr : Everything, my dear. Everything there is.
- Season 1, Episode 7

He has no compunction about what he lays to waste while doing so.

Littlefinger is one of the most dangerous man in Westeros - Varys, Season 3, Episode 4
Actually I rather enjoy him, but he would see this country burn if he could be the king of the ashes. - Varys, Season 3, Episode 4

Conclusion:
Given the above, it is quite clear why Varys would consider chaos as a pit while Petyr would consider it as a ladder. However, when there is chaos, lives are at stake - lives of people in the realm, lives of those you love and your morality is tested. However, if you abandon the people, abandon those you love, forget your morality and focus only on the climb, you will achieve power. This is true and that is exactly what the dialogue was about.

No comments: